Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Russian Futurists

I was almost certain that I had posted about Russian Futurists before. However, after digging through our archives, I couldn't find anything about the band so now I must correct this most grieveous oversight.

Despite the plural band name, Russian Futurists in one guy. Matthew Hart uses a drum machine, toy keyboards, and synth string sections to craft happy, sweet little pop songs in his bedroom. Those of you that know me are aware of my love of The Synth, so last year's Our Thickness is a big sloppy kiss from Russian Futurists to me. And now I will pass this big smooch on to you, but don't think of it as sloppy seconds. Here, have a breath mint.

Russian Futurists - Paul Simon
Russian Futurists - Hurtin' 4 Certain
Russian Futurists - 2 Dots on a Map

I keep going back to "2 Dots on a Map" with its chorus straight out of the seventies. The singers coo, "No one ever loves me like youuu..." and I can't help but smile. Then Matthew Hart comes in with the verses over a spare beat and the song goes from being a saccharine seventies prom song to a minimalist slow jam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home