Friday, June 01, 2007

Jordan vs. Jackson Deathmatch 2007: The Battle of the J's

Not to be outdone by his Secret Assistant, Red Blondehead's official mascot had to submit himself as a candidate for the Substitute Leah position. So here's Jackson, le Love Bear's (formerly known as Jackson, The Fantastic Bear) entry.


Jackson, le Love Bear is superexcited about his new look.


The Cooooomas

In a pure cliché of the mid-2000’s (or whatever this decade is known as), Leah and I had an exchange on MySpace that culminated in my first exposure to The Comas. It started when I noted that I still don’t understand Leah’s unhealthy obsession with The Handsome Family (no hate, bro). She avoided the comment by asking if I understand her newfound obsession with The Comas. “No seriously [gringo], listen to ‘Red Microphones.’” And so I did.

I wouldn’t quite consider them a guilty pleasure, but The Comas are certainly outside my usual listening habits. For some reason, I even tried to find something wrong with their most recent album Spells. I searched for a way to label them the next Sparklehorse or Apples in Stereo rip-off. Slowly nit-picking though each song, the enjoyment started to set in. Well hot damn if I wasn’t being seduced by the cute sassy girl that I had just sneered at.

Somehow The Comas carve their unique power pop niche despite sounding like so many other bands: Ted Leo, Weezer, Grandaddy and the aforementioned Sparklehorse and Apples in Stereo. From fuzzed-out romp to blissed-out ballad, the most consistent quality about The Comas is that they keep things interesting.

It’s so easy to get wrapped up in obscure instruments and rampant experimentation that sometimes one forgets about the good ol’ indie rock. Listen to the songs below and come see The Comas at Zydeco on Monday, June 4 or at Bottletree July 31. (RB: We suggest both, but if you can only afford one...it's an easy guess which one we would endorse. heh.)

The Comas - Red Microphones
The Comas - Now I'm a Spider
The Comas - Thistledown

(cheesy announcer voice) The competition is heating up! Who will be crowned Substitute Leah? Whose life will be forever changed by winning? Tune in next week!

5 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

There is no substitute for this rocking chick. I want my LeahTV!!!
Can't beat the Leah Rock Look

5:00 PM  
Blogger That Was Jordan Just Now said...

I think I might have to bow out. How am I supposed to tussle with a dang ol' bear?

5:17 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

hair (fur) pulling? You do have the advantage of opposable thumbs.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Jackson said...

Oh, but you forget... this is the new "Love Bear." I've replaced the growl with a hug...

BEAR hug.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

Oh, so now you hug people to death.

Death by Bear Hug...future band name?

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home