Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Hem release Funnel Cloud

I'd like to say that it's with extreme giddiness that I post new mp3s from Brooklyn's best Americana band, Hem. However, it's truly only with... pleasure. Today Hem release their third studio album, Funnel Cloud, which is quite a dip in overall quality from both Rabbit Songs and Eveningland. Not that it's terrible--it's just that there aren't songs on here that can even come close to rivaling Eveningland's "Carry Me Home" or even "Lazy Eye" from their debut record.

As always, the prime attraction here is Sally Ellyson's vocals. She's just singing a little lower than she should for her vocal range, continuing with an unfortunate trend that started with the songs on demo collection No Word from Tom.

If you get the chance--and Birmingham folks, you get a chance at least once a year--you should try to catch Hem live. They are simply one of the best bands to see live, absolutely thrilling. I cannot say it enough. Here's a link to WorkPlay's information on their upcoming show in Birmingham. The write-up gets almost every biographical detail wrong (the first record came out in '01, the band is now on Nettwerk AND their third record), but the show date/cost/time is accurate. Trust me on this one and buy your tix soon, my friends.

Not California
I'll Dream of You Tonight

Pick up Funnel Cloud at spun.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too thought this was a departure from their other albums, but mend my wife have been listening to this one constantly since it was released. I can honestly say I wasn’t crazy about it at first, but has quickly become my favorite of all. I first heard Hem on All Songs Considered, and was hooked in 2001. I have been a crazed fan since, buying every album the day of release – almost like a proud parent.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home